Friday, February 03, 2006

Male electro-duos pt. 2


In countries like the U.K. and U.S.A. the picture of “credible” and “true” bands is normally four guys with dreadful dark hair and military jackets. I’d like to call electro-duos the Swedish answer to that, since Swedish music fans that are considering themselves 'indie' are loving them. And a group like The Tough Alliance (TTA) is perfect to demonstrate that. They’re loved by the critics, always perform at the hippest of indie clubs and are featured in the cool indie-magazines. Yet they, like every other electro-duo, do pure pop music with cheesy lyrics and joyful melodies.

TTA is probably the most important group coming from Gothenburg right now. When they released their first EP in the summer of 2004 critics went mental for them! At this day they’ve released two EP’s and one album at the pop record company Service, which also discovered acts like Cat5 and José Gonzales, but I’ve read that they’re about to sign to a bigger label.

They focus a lot on the beats and rhythms (they have a history as hiphoppers), though catchy melodies is just as important. Also the singer’s voice is very original. While I find them interesting I have friends who have refused to listen to TTA because their voices give them headaches.

Make It Happen – This is TTA’s debut single, and probably also my favourite song by them. It’s a very poppy tune. I can’t quite hear what they sing though.

Koka-Kola Veins – Apparently there is some “hidden message” in this song, but I choose to see it as a song about their love for Cola Cola (which was the original title), which makes the lyrics absolutely brilliant! I also love the “blah blah”-bit, and the French talky-bit in the beginning.

My Hood – I think this might be the first time I’ve heard the word “hood” used in a pop song, which shows the fact that TTA also enjoys hip-hop. It’s sublime, really. Download it.

Remember that these three songs are just some of the perfect pop tunes TTA have made. If you wanna hear more I recommend that you download ‘Keep It Pure’, ‘In The Kitchen’, ‘Holiday’ and their brilliant cover of 50 Cent, ‘Many Men’. Or buy their album here.

Another fun fact about TTA is that they're currently in a "fight" with The Sounds, who I featured here like a week ago. Members of The Sounds beat down a member of another brilliant electro-duo called The Embassy (soon to be featured on here) so bad he had to go to the hospital, and since TTA are friends with The Embassy they very recently published some not-so-friendly words about The Sounds. For example they decleared a Fatwa on Sounds, which is a religious thingy. Click here for their website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home