Album review: Amy Diamond - Still Me Still Now
I know there was only a few days ago since the last song I posted by Amy, but I picked up her new album today and I simply can’t help myself but to post some more from it. Because, basically, it’s one of the best teen-pop albums I’ve heard in years! I liked her last one, but seriously – this is fantastic! It beats Marie Serneholt’s album (which I also love) by miles. The productions have gone more original, and Amy’s really getting her own ‘style’ on this album. And there’s 100% proper pop tunes. I don’t dislike one song.I would probably have been Amy’s biggest fan if I was thirteen today, since she has everything that appealed to be at that time (and, obviously, now too, but to a lesser extent). Her songs are feel-good pop with strong melodies, and her image isn’t too ridiculous compared to other underage popstars. You can’t dislike this girl.
Amy Diamond – Big Guns
The album starts off with the absolutely amazing ‘Big Guns’, which easily is the best song on the album. It’s a big cheeky kid-anthem with lines like “What do you know man? Get with the program! The real truths come from the youth.” Everything “pop for children” should be lyric-wise. And melody-wise also, because it has the best pop chorus of 2006. I’m imagining a powerful music video with Amy running down a street with her “young allies”.The album continues with the also very strong up-beat songs ‘Don’t Cry Your Heart Out’ and ‘My Name Is Love’, but it’s on track number four the next amazing song comes. It’s called ‘That’s Life’ which with a pop circus production and pleasant lyrics manages to be the most fun song on the album. You could say it takes off where ‘Welcome To The City’ ended.
Amy Diamond – That’s Life
I even love the ballads. ‘All The Money In The World’ is about the fact that you can’t buy happiness. There’s something remarkably cute about a thirteen year old singing that. A possible Christmas number one? I think so! ‘It Only Gets Better’ has a slightly mediocre chorus, but the amazing verses saves the song, and overall it’s really beautiful.Amy gets funky on tracks like ‘Diamonds’ and ‘Don’t Lose Any Sleep Over You’, where she plays with trumpets and other sounds from the 1940’s (and earlier). Without sounding dated (like Westlife).
The only negative thing I can come up with is that the album is a bit samey, but it's samey in a "Prototype" by BWO kind of way, ie strong pop tunes only, so that's not such a bad thing.
If you like the songs posted you should buy the album here. Or here. Or here.
10 Comments:
Oooh SparkPop has been raving on about this album too! I gotta buy it!
Oh, didn't notice! Well, there can't be enough blogs mentioning this album. It deserves all attention it can get.
You really should buy it. There are some nice pictures in the sleeve too. No lyrics though :(.
That's interesting - 2 of those songs (All The Money & Don't Lose Any Sleep) are on my copy of This Is Me Now. I bought it in Poland so it must be a different edition to the Swedish one. I've ordered the new album anyway.
I dont think there are really any tracks that JUMP out like WELCOME TO THE CITY did....
Really? Do you have the Cd or are u listening to it through your computer/ipod. It kinda makes all the difference Aaryn.
Computer. Im in Los Angeles... now way I could have the CD yet ; )>
In Sweden, who is Amy Diamond aimed at? Is it pop for kids? Or is it more teenage? I think she's great... but I can't quite understand who she appeals to.
0-15, I'd say. But music is for all ages.
The Danish "Amy D" is now on DontStopthePop! or DontStopthe(Dansk)Pop!
That's Life is addictive! Her second album is like they've realised that Welcome To The City was the best track and have consequently replicated that song over and over and over....and this is a real good thing! Shes NOTHING like Anne Gadegaard 'cept the two are quite young. Firstly, Anne doesnt sing as distinctive as Amy and secondly the music is completely different: amy is now and anne is doing music that sounds so 2002. Still, Anne writes her songs so you can't be too harsh on her. Still, loving SoundsofSweden!
Post a Comment
<< Home