Friday, June 30, 2006

» Requests fulfilled.. I hope.


Today it's all about Swedish schlager. You don't know what it is? It is catchy, camp, irresistible and cheesy popmusic - damn good in other words. Schlager is often connected to Melodifestivalen (if you don't know what that is by now, you should be ashamed of yourself) and all Europeans think it sounds like ABBA... that's not completely true though. Anyway, here are a few examples, some fresh, some old..

Pernilla Wahlgren - Don't Say Goodbye [Buy]
Pernilla first participated in MF in 1985, with the classic "Piccadilly Circus" - a song that actually is a lot better than the winning song, and it's still very popular in Sweden. "Don't Say Goodbye" is Pernilla's brand new single.

Caracola - Ända Fram (The whole way) [Buy]
About a year ago I got hold of some demos that were submitted to MF. This was one of them, but I got the English version. "Ända Fram" is the Swedish version and it's featured on Caracola's debut-album, which was released last week. From the minute I heard this I loved it. It's a lot better in English too. But you will have to do the Swedish, I'm afraid.

Shirley Clamp - Äntligen (Finally) [Buy]
In 2003 Shirley entered MF with "Mr Memory" but she didn't get her breakthrough until a year later with the huge hit "Min Kärlek". For her debutalbum she recorded Mr Memory in Swedish, and if she had sung it in Swedish from the beginning maybe she would have breaked already in 2003.

Friends - Favourite Song (That's All Because Of You)
Friends made four schlagtastic albums. This song is from the third album "Listen to your heartbeat". It's a "cover" of Ines, y'know, the brilliant girl from Estonia. But their version is more schlager so it is quite suitable.

.. the finale

Carola - För Alltid (For always) [Buy]
The Queen of 'em all. Carola's latest album is the best schlageralbum of the year. She knows how to do it, when she wants too. "För Alltid" belongs to my favourites.

I hope you're not disappointed with my choices. I will do another selection like this again.
Don't worry, be happy!

1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger lester1980 said...

woo hoo for Carola. I hope she brings out that English Album she was talking about during Eurovision!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home