» Rockin' my August
Universal Poplab – I Could Say I’m Sorry
If you’ve been reading pop blogs for a couple of years now Universal Poplab are no strangers for you. When their debut album was released a few years ago both Dirrrty Pop and Enthusiastic But Mediocre went mental for it, which proves that it was quite a fantastic pop album. Now they’re back with a new single named “I Could Say I’m Sorry”, and I can’t state they’ve gotten any worse than before. The production is as poppy as ever (if not even poppier), and it still sounds really rather danceable. And it has a killer chorus I'm sure you will love! Watch the music video for the song here.
Veronica Maggio – Nöjd?
It’s not very often a modern, fresh pop song is done in Swedish. Most often pop in Swedish can be categorised as schlager or ‘old man rock’, and none of our popular stars like Robyn, BWO or Darin are making pop in Swedish (with certain exceptions). That’s why I cheered when I first heard ‘Nöjd?’ with Veronica Maggio, which includes a nice melody and production Amy Diamond’s songwriters would be proud of, and a half ironic and funny text about old ex boyfriends that could’ve been found on an LP with Girls Aloud or Lily Allen. That’s a rarity on the Swedish pop scene at the moment!
Cobra Starship – Snakes On A Plane (Bring It)
Isn’t it a bit funny how small Swedish pop acts get to do soundtracks for big Hollywood productions? The last time Ana Johnson did the soundtrack for Spiderman a couple of years ago, and now The Sounds are, along with a couple of American acts, doing the soundtrack for the upcoming smash movie Snakes On A Plane, starring Samuel L Jackson. I like the song a lot and the fact that The Sounds are in it makes it even better. Maja’s voice is ace as always, and she’s brilliant in the video (which is on Youtube, but since it's down at the moment I couldn't link to it).
I’m From Barcelona – Collection Of Stamps
From the band’s official website: “I’m From Barcelona is about being out biking all day, about chicken pox and tree houses and about summernights that never ends”. I love the concept. They’re such a great and fun band. ‘Collection Of Stamps’ didn’t quite grab me on the first listen, but after hearing it quite a lot I now consider it better than the band’s first amazing single ‘We’re From Barcelona’. The video for that one and 'Collection Of Stamps' are also on Youtube.
Bonus: Rec & Play – another very catchy tune off the album.
ps: I'm going to Bulgaria on Thursday, so the lack of updates from me will continue, unfortunately. Hopefully things will go back to normal next weekend, though.
ps2: I went to the European championships in athletics in Gothenburg last week, and walked past Martin Rolinski (BWO) for the third time this summer (the first time being on West End Girls' afterparty, and the second when they did a gig here in Skelleftå)! Don't mistake me for a stalker though, all three times were coincidences.

3 Comments:
Love Veronica Maggio! Thanks for the upload....can't wait to buy her album!
Thanks for these, they sound great. Have a great time in Bulgaria!
Thanks for the tune--I really enjoy them all. I just saw SoaP today and loved the song, which played (with the video) during the ending credits. But the Sounds are not in the song, by the way--the song was already recorded by Cobra Starship and they decided to add bits for Maja and the other guests to sing. That's all. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home