Wednesday, November 15, 2006

» Album review: Linda Sundblad “Oh My God”

I know this is the third post in a row mentioning Linda Sundblad, but really, we can’t hype this amazing album too much. I’m a bit surprised how unnoticed she’s gone by on most places in the pop blogosphere (I’ve only seen her mentioned on Popjustice and Dirrrty Pop). She deserves some hype, so if you’re a pop blogger and is reading this; give her album a go and then realise what a bloody fool you’ve been for ignoring her before.

Did you think that “Oh Father”, despite its brilliant lyrics about religion, was a bit half dull? Well, don’t worry; it’s not very representive of the album at all. Many of the songs are very ‘80s. Though not in the ‘80s way we’ve seen so many times before in the last few years (especially by her female pop colleagues in Norway) but in a more direct retro way, similar to Tommy February6.

It’s also very, very poppy. I’m actually surprised that Linda dared to be this pop. She’s really left everything rock and Lambretta behind her, and is now 100% jolly pop. And the album might’ve been recorded in the US (by Swedes, mind), but she’s definitely not following the American trend of making songs without a melody. All the songs are very catchy. It’s actually a bit funny how little Linda from a country of 9 million people manages to make an album million times better than the latest efforts from international popstars in her genre; Jessica Simpson, Fergie and Paris Hilton. Plus that the album is full of ace lyrics, something that in my opinion is missing in all the earlier mentioned popstars albums as well. I’m not just saying this because I want to defend Swedish pop music or anything, I genially think so.

The album - which is beginning with an obscure but fantastic Bollywood inspired intro - contains ‘80s inspired pop anthems which literally are everything Gwen Stefani’s comeback single should’ve been like (“Cheat”, “Pretty Rebels”, “Dirty”), sugar sweet ballad (“Lose You”, “Daisies”), experimental beats (“Turning On”, “Keeper”) and pure pop joy (“Back In Time”, “Who (Q-Boy)”, “Oh Father”, “Beatiful Boys”).

Let’s not forget the fact that Linda Sundblad is a totally ace popstar. She has the attitude, the voice and the looks. The whole package of a perfect popstar. I’m without doubts putting her on the same pedestal as Robyn and Darin if she’s continuing to be as amazing as this.

You’ve got to buy this (why not on one of the links to the right). It buggers me a bit that this album won’t sell as much as Agnes’ latest one, when this one obviously pisses all over “Stronger”. So go on and buy it so that it won’t ‘do a Lene Nyström’ and become a lost pop masterpiece which went by totally unnoticed. It’s far too good for that.

Linda Sundblad - Back In Time

11 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of such a topopstar and an excellent album. Pure pop brilliance! Keep up the great work, This is a top blog and your music brings a smile to my face! :) Morrie, London.

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love what i've heard. thank you. i want to buy the album now.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I'm still waiting for my copy (damn cd wow!), but there will be a review up on my site when I finally get it.

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved "Oh Father"(should be No.1)and will buy the album from cdwow when I can.You swedes don't appreciate your popstars enough by the sound of it;}.

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm at first I thought this sounded a bit MJB but then it went really housey. Perhaps I need a few listens and to try the album!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Chrille said...

Morrie & Anonymous1: Thanks a lot! Glad you like the song.

Anonymous2: Here's some good news for you - it actually was a number one hit in Sweden.

Trixie: MJB as in Mary J Blige? If that's the case I have one question; where?! I hear no similarities what so ever.
You should try the album, though. It's amazing. :D

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've honestly ignored her solo career so far because... well, she's from Lambretta. But I might have to get this album if it's anything like Tommy February6!

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger xolondon said...

WOW! Thanks so much for this song - it is my first exposure to her and she is a worthy heir to her contemporaries. Love the sort of stompy quality of this song. Fantastic. I will be so happy at the gym tonight.

I just wish I had some way to get this album. I guess I'll have to try CD WOW!

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually now I've listened to this a few more times I like the music, it's just the lyrics that are ruining it for me. I HATE HATE HATE '16 and still virgin'. But I can totally imagine people listening to this across the mainstream if they found it. i.e. if this style of music would suit the clubs I played in, I would play it.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, Back In Time is amazing. I hope she comes to the U.S. She has the whole package for a perfect newcomer. Unfortunately the US is mainly xenophobic.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the album!!!
In the beginning I was really surprised how "poppy" the songs were ( I really like Lambretta - mainly because of her voice).
It is the album I would have expected from singers like Gwen Stefani (but she never did it and I really don't like "the sweet escape" - frankly it's horrible! The Neptunes are great producers but in the end everything sounds the same! I hope no doubt are teaming up for a record in the near future!
Lindas album is definitely the best pop album of 2006!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home